The artfinal in graphic design is the process of reviewing and preparing graphic work to send it correctly to the printer. It is a previous step to the printing and reproduction of any graphic commission, and the final result, good or bad, of the graphic project, will depend on a well-made final artwork. To ensure that your graphic design prints correctly, you will have to carry out good finalization, based on a complete technical knowledge of the printing processes. In this post, we explain how to prepare your graphic design work for a professional impression.
What should you review in graphic design before sending it to print?
- If you are going to use special inks or finishes with selective varnishes, check with the printer.
- Control color overprints. Illustrator and InDesing have the default overprint option enabled when importing elements and documents of different formats.
The resolution of the images
• Check the photographs and illustrations so that they have the quality necessary for their correct printing.
• The proper resolution for printing images is typically between 200 and 400 pixels per inch.
• Check that there are no logos or images that are deformed, rotated, or greatly enlarged. The ideal magnification percentage is between 75% and 130%.
• Avoid image boxes without a background color, so images do not print with holes. The recommended background color for image boxes is white.
The fonts used
- Check the fonts of your design, make sure that none are missing or give some kind of error.
- Sending outlines or vectorized fonts that you use in your designs or embedded fonts in a PDF document will save you more than serious displeasure.
- To print color texts on colored backgrounds, use trapping or trapping so that a white edge will not appear between the text and the background. Black text is overprinted by default.
The final format of the work
- Review the final measurements of each document and adjust them, if necessary, to the standard measurements or formats indicated by the printer.
- If we are talking about a book or catalog, you will have to adjust the total number of pages of the publication to a specific number of sheets. It will also be necessary to adjust the dimensions of the cover and the size of the spine.
- In folded brochures, keep in mind the type and form of folding when placing the texts and graphically composing each page.